In this week’s episode, Olympic qualifiers Stephanie Roble and Maggie Shea discuss downwind tactics for youth. Need a better way to decide how to exit the windward mark? Want to learn how to recognize shifts downwind? Want to learn how to play offense and defense downwind? It’s all here.
The Fast Forward series is a partnership between the ILYA, Roble/Shea Sailing, and SailZing, LLC. The videos are edited recordings of live webinars conducted in spring 2020. Watch the full video, or use the timings in the video description to go directly to the topics that interest you. Or, read a summary of the key insights at SailZing.com.
Downwind Tactics for Youth – Outline and Video Timings
- Strategic priorities based on wind conditions (00:01:30)
- Focus areas for each third of the leg (00:03:12)
- Questions to ask as you approach the windward mark (00:05:47)
- Exiting the mark: gybe or continue? (00:09:34)
- Sail the headed gybe (00:12:25)
- Why telltales or a Windex are must-have tools for downwind (00:14:19)
- Detecting shifts, puffs, and lulls with telltales (00:16:33)
- Middle of downwind – speed and lane management (00:27:29)
- Taking a boat’s wind (00:27:48)
- Choosing a lane out of the corner (00:34:20)
- How to avoid the “jump” (00:37:00)
- Leeward mark approach – avoid the cone of death (00:40:36)
- Choosing the gate (00:43:25)
- Leeward mark rules (00:52:25)
- Q&A (01:01:39)
Want more information about downwind tactics? Here are some links to SailZing.com articles:
Keep up with Steph and Maggie’s campaign and consider donating.