Bill Draheim of Dallas Texas visited ISC for a racing seminar. Lots of wisdom in this video of his two-hour talk. He took questions from the floor, and noted them on the board before addressing each. There were one design, and keelboat sailors in the crowd. All took something away from the evening.
Bill Draheim has over 20 national sailboat class titles to his name. In 2018 alone, he won the MC Scow Midwinters, Nationals, and the Champion of Champions.
Bill works for Quantum Sails out of the Gulf Coast office. He’d be happy to help with all with all your sailmaking needs. [email protected]
Check out other Q School videos from Bill on Facebook. Friend him there. facebook.com/quantumsailsnorthtexas/
Here’s a list of the questions, and cue points for Bill’s responses.
- 00:00:02:00 Small fleet v. large fleet start
- 00:04:13:15 Mid-line, or end position on start line
- 00:07:23:00 How to get familiar quickly in a new boat
- 00:12:47:00 Super light air sail choice
- 00:14:29:00 How to get back into the race after a bad start?
- 00:27:19:00 Suggestions for class growth
- 00:35:02:00 Trimming your main on a large boat v. a small boat
- 00:37:23:00 Leeward gate tactics
- 00:44:11:00 Pre-race strategy
- 00:49:26:00 Downwind tactics
- 00:57:52:00 Asymmetric kite downwind tactics
- 01:04:12:00 Tell-tales. Tips and tricks
- 01:15:42:00 When to get new sails
- 01:18:37:00 How to de-power in a breeze
- 01:26:01:00 Using a vang downwind
- 01:29:06:00 Jibs: hanks v. roller furling
- 01:32:03:00 Sail shape in different wind velocities
- 01:36:08:00 Foiling sailboats. How do you really feel about them?
- 01:38:39:00 How do you capsize a boat?
- 01:40:45:00 Upwind, adjusting to boats pointing higher than you are.
- 01:43:09:00 Bottom paints
Thanks to Bill Crawford for posting this video. Bill has some other great videos on his YouTube channel.
Here’s some SailZing content related to the topics above.